Welcome to REMSA (Regional Emergency Medical Services Authority)REMSA is located in Reno, Nevada and is the exclusive ground and helicopter ambulance provider for Washoe County, including the Cities of Sparks and Reno. REMSA's Care Flight helicopter also serves all of Northern Nevada and Northeastern California.
REMSA was created in 1986, as at that time the ambulance service in Washoe County was in chaos.
- -Multiple providers operating, two in bankruptcy
- -Poor patient care, poor response times to critical emergencies, poor equipment, poor quality, high rates
- -No oversight or accountability for patient care, quality or rates
A new system was obviously needed so a blue ribbon commission was formed and REMSA was created. Washoe County, the City of Reno and the City of Sparks all participated in REMSA's formation and evaluation criteria.
This new regional system was designed with multiple accountabilities to assure excellent patient care, medical quality and financial performance.
REMSA's Regional System Design Guarantees:
- -Strict response time requirements and performance
- -Every ambulance staffed at paramedic level
- -Most advanced medical equipment
- -Multiple levels of independent expert oversight to insure accountability
- -Public safeguards to insure continued service if performance is not met, the ambulance provider can be replaced
- -Provides high performance ambulance services with NO TAX SUBSIDY
- -Not for profit community service
REMSA has an all-volunteer (no compensation) Board of Directors. The makeup is as follows:
- -Accounting Representative: Appointed by the Washoe County District Board of Health
- -Legal Representative: Appointed by the Washoe County District Board of Health
- -Consumer Representative: Appointed by the Washoe County District Board of Health
- -Consumer Representative: Appointed by the three hospital representatives
- -Renown Representative: Appointed by Renown Health
- -Saint Mary's Representative: Appointed by Saint Mary's Regional Medical Center
- -Northern Nevada Medical Center Representative: Appointed by Northern Nevada Medical Center